Monday, July 21, 2008

Baked Donuts

Donuts, so delicious, yet so incredibly, incredibly fatty. For example, The original glazed Krispy Kreme donut weighs 52 grams and has 12 grams of fat. The New York cheesecake donut has 330 calories, of which 170 are derived from fat. This bad boy has 19 grams of fat, 30 per cent of the daily requirement! In one donut.

So, the prospect of baked donuts with less fat (but still not guilt free!) is an appealing one.

The recipe I used can be found here. I would be tempted to add a little more butter to this recipe next time.

The donuts were good - make no mistake, they're not as good as fried - kind of like a chewier, moister brioche. They cook like lightning, so whip em out of the oven pretty fast.

I do think that sourdough has slightly ruined me for yeasted breads, however. I find myself questing for that complex malty, nutty, three-dimensional taste that you can only get from a long ferment and a natural levain. Sourdough donuts?? Hmmm, an interesting possibility.

The big question, is do I like these more than the different, but delectable, choux pastry?? Hmmm, probably not. Choux pastry is about as easy, and so light and versatile. It's easy to eat more of it though.... They are beautiful, glistening like calorie snowballs in the light...


Labels:

8 Comments:

At 3:16 pm , Blogger Tamtims said...

These are hawt!

 
At 10:56 pm , Blogger Sarah said...

Hmmm donuts versus choux pastry... I propose several A-B comparisons, in the interests of science!

What's the point of a baked donut though? I mean, they're bad for you, may as well enjoy their full fatty-badness and fry them... yum...

 
At 10:57 pm , Blogger Sarah said...

Oh and you know, choux pastry has lots of eggs... eggs are very nutritious, you know...

 
At 6:16 pm , Blogger TimT said...

Cheesecake donut? WTF?

I like my donuts with holes and cinnamon sugar. Or with jam. THAT'S ALL. None of those fancy-schmancy icing or cheesecake.

As for donuts with less fat, I. just. don't. understand. the attraction. You people should be GRATEFUL for the cholesterol and higher risk of heart disease. GRATEFUL!

Taking fat away from donuts is like taking the colour gold pit of honey, like docking the tale off the puppy, like snipping the petals off the flower. It's just not done!

Thus speaketh the Tim.

 
At 6:24 pm , Blogger TimT said...

Thus speaketh the Tim, and very incoherently too, I might add. I'm reminding myself to use preview.

 
At 8:12 pm , Blogger patrick said...

Give it a try Tim, you might be surprised, they're pretty palatable...

 
At 12:49 pm , Blogger Charles said...

Aaah Paddy, you so funny.

"So, the prospect of baked donuts with less fat (but still not guilt free!) is an appealing one.
[...]
I would be tempted to add a little more butter to this recipe next time."

 
At 2:07 pm , Blogger Audra Majocha said...

ahhh, my mother says there are no good donuts left anywhere, anymore...nothing like when she was a kid...i may have to try these, they look fantastic!

audra
www.onelouelemon.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home