Sunday, February 17, 2008

Photos from Vietnam

Powerlines in Saigon.

Saigon powerlines were astonishing in their variety and complexity - a gordian knot with a bristling electric core. I was constantly amazed that I didn't see more of these broken down, or lashing charred corpses. God only knows how many people are actually paying for their power.

On our way to the airport, there was a massive traffic jam (and when 90% of the traffic is on scooters that obey - shall we say - flexible road rules, you know there's a real problem), due to one of the overloaded towers falling down. Lucky there wasn't anyone selling fruit or books underneath it.


Vietnamese Coffee

You don't need to be a genius to see how this one works. Hot water and a shitload of coffee go in the aluminuim container. It drizzles down onto the layer of sweetened condensed milk on the bottom. Teeth-shatteringly sweet, and stronger than Ronnie Coleman, I reckon they could use this coffee in place of adrenalin shots for anaphylaxis cases. Needless to say, other than a cautious sip of someone else's, I stayed well away.


Orchids

There lots of brilliant gardens and gardeners in Vietnam. The climate is a horticulturist's dream - stunning variety and no dearth of rain anywhere.

Roses, day lilies, astonishing produce all abound, but there were two things that really stood out. The bonsais - I had no idea that Vietnam loved bonsai as much as the Japanese - and the amazing orchids.

Coming from Queensland - no slouch in the orchid stakes - I can only imagine how British and American tourists found the riotous displays of orchids - dazzling colours and varieties. This was at the Dalat Annual Flower Festival, and was one of thousands of stunning orchids we saw on the day.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:41 pm , Blogger Tamtims said...

I'm *utterly* disappointed Patrick! Where are the rest of the photos?!

 
At 10:22 pm , Blogger Sarah said...

I'm not disappointed- I knew it was worth checking back here every day in the hope you'd finally posted something! Although at this rate it'll be the end of the year before you get them all up :P

Totally worth the wait though... I much prefer photos with a story.

 
At 8:56 am , Blogger patrick said...

They're getting here! I've got like a hundred!

I've got some bread stuff coming soon Sarah, you're gonna be drooling!

 
At 2:55 pm , Blogger Sarah said...

Only a hundred? What were you doing for 3 weeks?!

And damn I wish you were our neighbour or something so I could come over and steal your bread...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home