Friday, November 23, 2007

The night before


Well folks, we stand on the cusp of an election - an election where the possibility of change hangs nascent in the air, dawn stands tiptoe on the misty mountain tops - but will it come?

God, I hope so.

I'm nervous tonight. Nervous, excited, a small medley of emotions threatening to break out circa 7:00pm tomorrow night. I was fifteen when John Howard was elected Prime Minister of this country, my political knowledge and awareness was very low - or rather, around the same level as most Australians making a decision tomorrow. I can't even remember what I thought; whether Howard was a Good Thing or a Bad Thing.

How times have changed. In those eleven years I have literally grown up. I now have a political science major, I've worked on election campaigns, my interest has sky-rocketed, and now I'm in no doubt as to whether John Howard is a Good Thing, or a Bad Thing. John Howard is a Fucked Thing.

I will be really, really sad if the Coalition win tomorrow. Yet I will try to counter that disappointment with the knowledge that - even after eleven years of a corrupt, incompetent, morally evil government - the country is still doing okay. Not great, but okay.

And it's because of good people, working hard to to expose, oppose, and try to solve the problems. Governments may come and go, but people tend to stay the same. So take heart, fellow readers and friends, that if Labor loses, we'll still all be around, and if they win; so will the other bastards, so let's not get complacent.

Keep your powder dry.


PS, fabulous odds at Portland Bet if you want to put your money where your mouth is and you think Labor will win a lot of seats. For your information, I have money riding on 89, 90, 91, and 92 seats. Big odds, but damn it, I want to believe!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:08 pm , Blogger TallulahBelle said...

Oh. Fucking. Yeah.

 
At 2:43 pm , Blogger Lynn said...

w00t w00t!

 
At 10:38 pm , Blogger patrick said...

Huzzah!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home